As a homeowner, a termite infestation is one of your biggest fears. If it’s not, it should be. Termites cause more damage to homes in the United States than fires and storms combined. Even a small colony of termites can severely compromise the integrity of a home in just a short amount of time.
At the first signs of a termite infestation, there are a few things that you should and shouldn’t do to limit the damage these destructive pests can do to your home.
As a homeowner, here’s what to DO and what NOT to do after you discover termites in your home:
What To Do When You Discover Termites In Your Home
- When dealing with termites, reduce the amount of moisture around your house. Moisture attracts termites. Check for malfunctioning taps and gutters and have them corrected. Create proper ventilation in areas of the house where moisture is likely to develop.
- Look for any cracks on wooden structures and seal them. This will prevent termites from entering into the wood through the crack.
- Another option is to fill in the gaps or cracks with sand, as termites cannot build colonies where there is fine sand.
- While replacing compromised wooden structures, switch them out for juniper, cedar and redwood, as termites prefer them least.
- There is a chance of termites returning years later. Conduct yearly termite home inspections to any problems at an early stage.
What NOT To Do When You Discover Termites In Your Home
- When you discover a colony of termites on the perimeter of your home, it is best to leave the colony alone. Disturbing the colony may drive them even closer, perhaps into your home.
- Don’t attempt to exterminate a termite colony on your own, as some chemicals can be hazardous to humans, plants and pets; as can inexperience handling the chemicals.
- Don’t use mulch around the house. It is a great a source of food and water for termites. Elect instead for rubber mulches, as an alternative to the wooden variety.
- Do not store lumber or waste on your property. This will only attract termites.
Bulwark Exterminating Termite Solutions
At first sign of a termite infestation, it’s best you call a professional; and not just any professional. You want a licensed professional that has years of expertise dealing with these destructive pests. You want a company that offers excellent customer service, and can schedule inspections and services around your busy schedule. You want Bulwark Exterminating and our professional termite solution.
Your home is one of your biggest investments. Don’t leave its protection to just anybody. Leave it to the preferred termite control professionals who are highly trained in all the leading termite pest control methods; the professionals that can provide all the best pest control options including baits, liquid baits, liquids, and monitoring stations.
Call Bulwark Exterminating for your termite solution today!